LUCY WILSON

Post courtesy of DailyMail.co.uk

LUCY WILSON

Location: Derby, England, UK

Date Of Injury: 1995

A 21-year-old burn survivor who had had more than 50 operations said she is ‘finally ready’ to show off her scars. Lucy Wilson, from Derby, was given 24 hours to live after she was scalded by hot bathwater on the day before her first birthday.

The university student has since undergone dozens of procedures to correct the burnt skin on her hands, feet and right leg, and had 4 fingers amputated in a bid to save her life. Miss Wilson said she feels confident enough to wear bikinis and summer clothes – and that she hopes her story will show other burn survivors hat they don’t need to ‘hide themselves away’.

Miss Wilson said: “I now know I have no reason to feel ashamed and it is amazing to be able to show other burn survivors that we don’t need to hide ourselves away.”

Miss Wilson said her mother, Cindy Wilson – 45, had only left her in the bathroom for a couple of seconds when she knocked the hot tap, burning more than 30% of her body.

She was taken to Nottingham City Hospital where she was treated for 3 months and was placed in intensive care after she developed potentially-fatal blood poisoning.

Doctors feared she would never walk, even if she was able to pull through.

Miss Wilson said:

“My mum, Cindy, was so positive throughout it all that she was determined to prove the doctors wrong and for me to live a normal life. The tips of my fingers were amputated and fused together as were my toes but that wasn’t going to stop me.

Thanks to my mum, I have become very strong minded and I have always known that there are others out there who are much worse off.

Any negative thoughts I have about my scars always left me feeling as though I was letting my mum down so I always try and be upbeat now.

Going to university has given me the confidence boost I needed, as I knew I would need to make new friends.”

After years pent working on her confidence, Miss Wilson says she now feels comfortable and hopes her story helps other burn survivors. She said: “I try and help out at burn children’s charities in between my journalism studies as it’s nice to be able to share my experiences with other burn survivors and give something back to people who helped me.”

After sharing her story with the Daily Mail, Miss Wilson traveled around Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. While in Cambodia, she volunteered with disabled children.

Alison Tweddle, Operations Manager at Children’s Burn Trust, said:

“A burn injury is for life – and the consequences far-stretching, both psychological as well as physically.

An accident that happens in a couple of seconds can be life-changing and leads to years of painful surgery.

We were thrilled to hear about Lucy’s travels, her courage and her determination to overcome diversity – she is truly inspiring!

Accidents will always happen, but awareness of the risks, and knowledge of good practice and first aid will help reduce the alarming number of children burnt and scalded each and every day.”

  • mlmorris

    I was burned at age 12 on my chest and arm. I was in hospital for a month, in a sterile room. As a teenager I was ashamed of the scars and always wore a long sleeved shirt. Gradually I started to feel slightly disassociated from the central part of my body. As a therapy I like running, and enjoy the gentle massage of the air on my body as I run. I am 54 years old, and live in Israel. Good luck, Lucy.