WHITNEY-SHAY, NYLA & DJ

WHITNEY-SHAY, NYLA & DJ

Location: USA

Date Of Injury: 2015

On November 20th, at 2:00 AM, my 2-year-old son, 5-week-old daughter and I were involved in an apartment fire that started in my apartment. We had fallen asleep in the living room and were were fast asleep when all of a sudden, I felt extreme heat and flames were everywhere.

My smoke detector never went off, and I had a space heater plugged in, but it was not on. The space heater was re-called back in 2013, but I was not aware.

I ran through fire and black smoke to try to find my son, DJ. He’d gotten scared and let go of my hand. All I could hear was him calling “MOMMY!!!!” He’d gone to his “safe place”, his bedroom. Fire never touched his room, he passed away due to smoke inhalation. My daughter, Nyla, and I were in the hospital for almost two months. We burnt the top 29% of our bodies. We have made a lot of progress, but we still have many months of healing left and their is a hole in our lives left by the passing of DJ. I thank God and my angel in Heaven, DJ, for watching over his mommy and sister.